Search McConkie Menu

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms


I made these little guys for a Labor Day get together we had last night. I have made them for just about every function that requires an appetizer, and they are always well received. I originally started out with a recipe, but over time have morphed it into what I prefer. I'm not actually a huge mushroom fan, and neither is my husband, but these really are so good. I also take the easy road and use the pre-cooked and crumbled bacon (soft kind... hormel is great), but if you enjoy the smell of bacon wafting through your home all day, you can fry up about 10 stripes & crumble them, and then omit the 2/3 cup crumbled bacon that the recipe calls for. If you do this step, also omit the butter and use the greasy pan to sautee your onion/bacon mixture.
Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms

1 - 1 1/2 Pounds Mushrooms, caps and stems separated
1 Package (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
1 Small Onion, chopped finely
2/3 Cup Crumbles Bacon
2 TBSP Butter
1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated finely
Fresh Chives (optional)

Carefully, and thoroughly, wash mushrooms. Remove stems, and save. Finely dice onion and mushroom stems and sautee together in a medium size skillet with the butter. Add cream cheese and melt through. Stir in bacon & a handful of chives (if using). When all combined, remove from heat and stuff mushrooms. sprinkle a small amount of cheese on top of each mushroom and place in a casserole dish or baking sheet with sides (they get juicy!). Bake @ 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately on a fancy platter or cover with tin foil to keep warm. Watch them disappear from the platter!

5 comments:

  1. Mushrooms huh? I'm not a big mushroom fan either so I wonder if I would like these... Interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this recipe! I think this may be my all time favorite appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annalisa,

    We tried this recipe on Christmas Eve, and it was so awesome! We are excited to make these again tonight! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you posted these. I have been wanting to make some. We made them for easter and our "One Shining Moment" party and they were awesome! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these too and they were delicious. The missionaries were a little surprised but enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete